Regular school attendance is critical for academic success.
Our goal is to ensure that every student attends school regularly and on time.
WHen your child will be absent from school
Please inform the school by sending an e-mail to email@example.com and copy the child's teacher.
Excused Absences and Tardies
The following reasons for an absence or a tardy arrival are considered excused, according to the DCPS attendance policy:
- Student illness (a doctor’s note is required if a student is absent for more than five days)
- Medical reasons such as a doctor’s appointment (a doctor’s note is required for both a tardy arrival and an absence)
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Death in the student’s immediate family
- Necessity for a student to attend a judicial proceeding as a plaintiff, defendant, witness or juror
- Failure of DC to provide transportation where legally responsible
- Emergency circumstances approved by the Chancellor’s Office
Unexcused Absences and tardies
- Extended travel (domestic or international)
- Traffic or having a vehicle that breaks down
- Visiting another school as a prospective student
- Doing errands
per DCPS Policy
- Parents of students with five (5) unexcused absences will be requested to participate in a truancy conference.
- Students ages 5-13 with ten (10) unexcused absences will be referred to the Child and Family Services Agency (CFSA) for suspected educational neglect.
- A court referral will be made for students with fifteen (15) or more unexcused absences.
- Students in excess of twenty (20) days of absence may be withdrawn from DCPS.
Please see DCPS attendance policy for more information.